How does Infrastructure Australia assess submissions?
Infrastructure Australia follows the same process for every initiative or project we assess. This is as follows:
- A proponent provides a submission to Infrastructure Australia for assessment
- Infrastructure Australia undertakes an initial review of the submission and seeks clarification and/or further information from the proponent
- Infrastructure Australia assesses the submission and any additional information the proponent provides. If necessary, Infrastructure Australia will request further information from the proponent
- Infrastructure Australia's Chief Executive Officer prepares a recommendation for consideration by the Infrastructure Australia Board
- The Infrastructure Australia Board evaluates the submission and makes a determination
- For project submissions (submissions with a full business case), a project evaluation summary is provided to the project proponent for a fact and commercial-in-confidence check. After this process is complete, the project evaluation summary is published on the Project Evaluations page of our website
- The Infrastructure Priority List is updated to reflect Infrastructure Australia's decision
INITIATIVE AND BUSINESS CASE ASSESSMENTS
Infrastructure Australia formally assesses projects at the Initiative Identification and Business Case assessment stage of the project lifecycle.
For the Initiative Identification assessment, Infrastructure Australia looks at:
- Strategic fit: whether a proposed initiative addresses identified evidence-based problems and opportunities of national significance.
For the Business Case assessment, Infrastructure Australia looks at:
- Strategic fit: whether a proposed project addresses identified evidence-based problems and opportunities of national significance, and whether it is supported by state or territory governments that would be impacted by the proposed project
- Economic, social and environmental value: a balanced, qualitative and quantitative view of a project's value
- Deliverability: an assessment of the risk inherent in delivering a project and the proposed measures to mitigate and manage this risk
In keeping with the requirements of the Infrastructure Australia Act 2008, Infrastructure Australia will publish a summary of all project proposals evaluated in the preceding quarter, in the form of an overview document for each project assessed. This will include project proposals which are not included on the IPL.